Killing in police barrack: Cop involved

Missing head found in Rajarbagh pond

Police recovered the missing head of a man from a pond inside Rajarbagh Police Lines in the city on Wednesday, a day after his headless body was retrieved from the rooftop of a traffic police barrack in Paltan of the capital.
Some relatives on Wednesday identified the decapitated body that was in city’s traffic police barracks as their kith and kin. The deceased was a village quack at Bakkhana village in Jhikargachha upazila of Jessore, said Joynul Abedin, the brother-in-law of the victim.
They said the body was of Md Nannu Munshi, 40, of Jessore district. He went missing on January 19, they added.
Meanwhile, police detained Shawkat, a traffic police, for his alleged involvement in the murder, said Manirul Islam, joint commissioner of Detective Branch of police.
A team of Paltan police recovered the headless body
 from the roof of the six-storey traffic police barrack near the police station on
 Tuesday morning. Informations divulged by Shawkat, led to the recovery of the man’s severed head from a pond at Rajarbagh Police Lines on Wednesday.
Mohd Ashrafuzzaman, deputy commissioner at Motijheel Division, told The New Nation: “The constable, Md Shawkat, was held for quizzing. Nannu Munshi went on missing after he had come to meet Shawkat, at the traffic police barracks on January 19.”
DC of Detective Branch (East Division) Jahangir Hossain Matubbor also said the family members of missing Nannu Munshi have unidentified the body as Nannu. However, they could not furnish any reason behind the murder.
 “The family members claimed that Nannu had come to Dhaka on January 19 from Jessore to meet constable Md Shawkat at the police barrack and since then he had been missing,” said DC Jahangir Hossain.
When asked, the DC-DB said: “Constable Md Shawkat has also admitted that Nannu Munshi had come to visit him.”
Police and witnesses at the morgue sources said Nannu’s elder brother Joynul Abedin and some other family members identified the body. They also claimed the shirt, which was recovered from a drain near the police barrack, also belonged to Nannu.
Joynul Abedin said they came to Dhaka following media reports on the recovery of the headless body from the top of the Traffic Police Barrack.
He also said Nannu used to meet constable Shawkat often, as he was a family doctor (kobiraj) of constable Shawkat.
Nannu had a 20-year-old daughter named Tumpa and two sons-Rabbi, 18, and Raj, 6.
There are only two ways to enter the building. One through the police station and the other through a gate inside the staff quarters. Outsiders are not allowed to enter the premise except for relatives of the policemen living there.
Meanwhile, police formed a three-member probe committee to investigate the murder.

Your email address will not be published.